Chewy Meringue Recipe
I'm a huge fan of meringues. This is a fabulous recipe that creates billowy, chewy, moreish meringues (and I know they're moreish as I'm having to restrain myself from having another). I've just served mine with some whipped cream and icing sugar with a dash of vanilla plus some fruit.
- 4 egg whites
- 200g caster sugar
- dash of vanilla extract
- 200ml double cream
- 2 tsp icing sugar
- Turn oven to 130 degrees fan (150 regular).
- Beat the egg whites until stiff with an electric mixer. Then, while the mixer is still going, pour in the sugar. Beat until glossy, thick and will form stiff peaks.
- Mix in the vanilla extract. If using a hand electric mixer this might take slightly longer but with my kitchenaid the whole process takes about ten minutes.
- Put spoonfuls on a baking tray covered with baking parchment (I stick mine down with a blob of meringue in each corner) and bake in the oven for 1 hour 10 minutes.
- When the timer goes, turn the oven off and allow the meringues to cool down in the oven with the door closed.
- Beat the double cream. When thick mix in a little vanilla extract and a few teaspoons of icing sugar.
- You can sandwich two meringues together with the cream or take one, add a blob of cream and some fruit.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY: