Onion Tartlets Recipe
These onion tartlets did both. So simple to make and tasting surprisingly delicious. I could have eaten all of them but unfortunately my husband enjoyed them, too.
Simple and Easy Recipe for Onion Tartlets
- Large frying pan or pan with lid
- Sharp knife
- Baking tray covered with baking parchment
- Pastry brush
- One pack ready rolled puff pastry
- Knob of butter
- Glug of olive oil
- About ten small onions, sliced
- 1 tsp sugar
- Fresh thyme
- Heat the pan with the olive oil and add the sliced onions. Stir in the butter, then reduce heat to low and cover with the lid. Cook for ten minutes.
- Remove the lid, stir in the sugar and season with the salt and cook for another ten minutes with the lid off until all the liquid has gone.
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees fan.
- Unwrap the pastry and divide into small rectangles with a sharp knife. You can make them as small or large as you wish. (Though, obviously, not too small!) Place onto the baking sheet/s.
- Place the caramelised onions in the centre of the rectangle, leaving a gap around the edge.
- Sprinkle with fresh thyme.
- Beat the egg with a fork and use a pastry brush to paint the egg around the edge of the rectangle on the pastry.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove and serve warm or cold.